Sunday, March 22, 2009

Raising Kids

I always thought being a mother would be easy. Boy was I mistaken! I think the hardest part is the struggle with the will and holding fast to the example I am to be to my children. I recently read a quote by John Barnett, "God has assigned us parents the role of standing in His place to show our children what He is like." That's a pretty big assignment! We are to imitate Christ to our children. I fail often.

I love the analogy of a tree. A tree is no stronger than its roots--neither are we. We must have a healthy root system to stand firm when we are tested. A defective root system leads to the death of a tree, and we too will fail and die if we are not grounded in God's Word. We must be reading God's Word and in constant fellowship with Him. When those temptations come into our day, we must choose to do what Christ would have us do, rather than responding by our present "feelings". Every day each of us repeatedly faces this choice; serve self, or God--follow Satan's way, or the Lord's. "There are only two choices on the shelf, pleasing God or pleasing self."

My goal this month is to be a "Christ-like" example to my children. I want my kids to see the true Savior, Jesus Christ, in me, not only in my words but in my actions and in all aspects of my life.

1 comment:

Mike and Lisa said...

What a great truth! I know I so often get busy with the day to day happenings, that I sometimes forget that I need to focus on continually cultivating my relationship with Him in order to be the mom He wants me to be.
Thanks for sharing! =) It was a great reminder!
Lisa