Thursday, February 5, 2009

Spurgeon Spurs Thoughts

"He who grows in grace remember that he is but dust, and he therefore does not expect his fellow Christians to be anything more. He overlooks ten thousand of their faults, because he knows his God overlooks twenty thousand in his own case. He does not expect perfection in the creature, and therefore, he is not disappointed when he does not find it."

Why do I expect perfection from my family? I shouldn't. I must remember I am but dust, I am chief of sinners, filled with my own faults. God overlooks all my mistakes....I must overlook the mistakes of others.

"Man may talk of self-control, as if the reins were in his own hands. But he who has been "born of the Spirit," and taught "to know the plague of his own heart," is made to feel that effective self-control is divine grace, not his own native power...Have not repeated defeats taught us the need of calling in better strength than our own?"

Why do I continue to struggle with self-control? Because so often I try to control my thoughts and emotions on my own, without reaching out to the one who created me for help. I have no power on my own....but must rely on the strength of His Spirit to change.

No comments: